- Joe Wise
An HOA Board is Only As Good as Its Strongest Member
You’ve probably heard the saying that a team is only as good as its strongest member, and this makes sense when you think of sports. The same viewpoint is true of your HOA Board. As a Board member, you need to surround yourself with knowledgeable and professional people to build the strongest team for the community.
Train Board Members
Each board member needs to understand his/her duties and obligations. Train board members when they come onboard, and alert them to ongoing training opportunities. Training may include reading or reviewing by-laws, covenants and the operating manual as well as seminars or online resources.
• Develop an orientation book for new Board members.
• Schedule orientation and/or review meetings when there are changes in the makeup of the HOA Board or when legal regulations change.
• Establish regular reviews of your By-Laws with a legal specialist to ensure that the By-Laws are in sync with changing regulations.
• Review Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&Rs) regularly to make sure they comply with existing law.
• Ensure that all Board members understand past and future CC&R enforcement to ensure consistent and fair application throughout the community.
Retain Professional Services
Whether your association is small or large, the use of professionals is worth its weight in gold and can help you build a stronger team. Services can include a property manager, attorney, accountant, etc. Here are a few guidelines to help you choose wisely.
• Referrals from other associations or professionals you know
• Check references and association experience
• Ensure that professionals have their own liability insurance
• Obtain written agreements
• Avoid conflicts of interest
What do your Board members need to be more effective as a team? Implement a plan to help them operate as a unit instead of independently so that day-to-day tasks and occasional conflicts are easier to manage. By surrounding yourself with knowledgeable Board members and dependable professionals, you create a strong team that can provide the leadership and services that your community needs.
Wise Property Solutions serves condominium and homeowners associations by addressing their financial, association and facilities management needs. The only certified and licensed community association management firm serving the Mountain South (Virginia, North & South Carolina, Tennessee) with offices in the Tri-Cities and Knoxville. Wise Property Solutions provides condo and homeowners association management services in Johnson City, TN; Bristol, TN; Kingsport, TN; Knoxville, TN and the surrounding region.